Loading Video...

History

history3

History

The history of Chocolat Frey AG is almost as old as the European chocolate industry. This traditional enterprise played a significant role in the development of chocolate from being an exclusive treat consumed by a privileged few to a sweet pleasure enjoyed by a large part of the population.

ge1

1887

The company R. & M. Frey was founded by the brothers Robert and Max Frey in Aarau.

ge2

Around 1900

From early on, Frey stands out thanks to its quality products and acquires a good reputation on the ‘luxury foodstuffs’ market. Its early product range is limited to chocolate bars, chocolate powder, soups and restoratives. The latter two products, however, are abandoned in favour of exclusive cacao products.

ge3

1914

Following the outbreak of World War I, sales plummet. In order to avoid layoffs, a large part of the workforce is obliged to stay at home and temporarily forfeit their salaries.

ge4

1939

After the outbreak of World War II and the mobilization of Switzerland, production can only be maintained with great difficulty.

1950

1950

Migros takes over 56% of Chocolat Frey AG. Thanks to the farsighted decision to sell, the company is able to significantly increase demand in t he following years. Later on, Migros buys up the remaining 44%.

ge7

1967

Transfer to the new production facilities at Buchs AG.

ge8

1974

Production of chewing gum commences following the wish of Migros to start up its own production of chewing gum.

1981

1981

In order to maintain healthy growth in the medium – and long- term, the decision is taken in 1981 to begin exporting Frey chocolate.

1984

1984

Sidings are incorporated and the switch to rail transport is made. In 1985, heat begins to be obtained from a waste incineration plant trough a district heating system.

ge13

1994

The largest expansion project in the company’s history is marked by a ceremonial inauguration. The Confectionery Annexe, costing 70 million Swiss francs, is opened with the aim of significantly increasing production capacities through the use of the most up-to-date technology.

ge9

2002

A large fire in the Migros Distribution Centre in Volketswil destroys a large part of the company’s Easter production worth around 30 million Swiss francs. Only thanks to the unbounded dedication of employers, suppliers and even competitors is it possible to produce the entire production run of Easter bunnies once again and deliver them to the shops in time.

4

2004

Certification according to IFS (International Food Standard) and BRC (British Retail Consortium). Commissioning of the new tank farm ALLEGRO.

2

2005

Commissioning of the new plant KAMA and thus structural separation into impure/pure production areas.

5

2008

Certification of the environmental management system according to ISO 14001 standard. Chocolat Frey AG and Delica AG formed a joint operation to benefit from synergies.

2012

2012

Frey celebrates its 125th anniversary.

Tell a friend